Saskatchewan Marijuana Party
August 01, 2007, 11:57:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The opinions expressed herein do not neccessarily represent the views and opinions of the Saskatchewan Marijuana Party and should be attributed only to the individuals who have expressed them.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannabis disrupts the brain  (Read 466 times)
ken.sailor
Party Executive
Mr. Twizzler

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2007, 05:27:51 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6606931.stm

Well, duh!

Cannabis was famously used in France in the 19th century by a doctor who believed that taking cannabis in large doses simulated psychosis and if nothing else gave him insight into what psychosis might be like.  Note that this was eating extremely high doses - and if you've ever eaten too much pot, you probably know that it is not generally pleasant.  From what I understand, when eaten, THC actually becomes more potent - you can get both higher and the high lasts longer.  That said, I don't know anyone who trips using marijuana.  Most people prefer the pleasant buzz you get from smoking.

While marijuana has been linked with psychosis since a Swedish study of about 1970, the connection is only strong if you're a drug warrior.  For example, a New Zealand study of a few years ago reported a 300% increase in the chances of becoming psychotic if you smoked marijuana during adolescence. 

Interestingly enough, however, Norml says that schizophrenia (the major psychotic disorder) rates have fallen by about 40% or the last 40 years - the same time in which so many kids took up smoking pot.

So what does this all mean?

1. Large doses (intravenous cannabis?) have always made people act goofy.
2. Researchers make money by finding danger associated with illegal drugs.
3. Alcohol is truly poisonous, both short term and over the long haul - while marijuana is suspected of long term harm associated with massive doses. 

So which drug gets sold legally?

Stay safe!
moe.brondum
Editor, The Leaf
Party Executive
Gong Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 05:07:59 pm »

So which drug gets sold legally?

ummmm .... those with patents?

ken.sailor
Party Executive
Mr. Twizzler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:56:56 am »

Dr. Lester Grinspoon also said at our event that the attempt to link marijuana and madness are complete nonsense.  He, after all, is a Harvard psychiatrist who specializes in schizophrenia.  I asked him at our 420 party.
moe.brondum
Editor, The Leaf
Party Executive
Gong Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 10:57:19 am »

If what Dr. Grinspoon says is true, there are must be many researchers who compromise their principles to make a buck. I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise, people in many occupations and professions seem to regularly compromise their principles for prohibition money.

ken.sailor
Party Executive
Mr. Twizzler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 10:46:22 am »

That's part of the answer.

Another part of the answer is that since marijuana has an effect, researchers would naturally be curious about the side effects.  Researchers will of course look for some effect, and in order to justify the money they are given, have to promote whatever they find.

The surprising thing is that they are able to find so little.

So I'd say that not all researchers who are anti-pot are lying bastards.  Some are fools!

(That is so unfair, but it is funny.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: